Sunday, January 31, 2016

My mind is on the blink


Due to a rather intense project at work, I don’t have the time (or energy) for a proper post this week.  I suppose I could give you an improper post, but I don’t feel like that either, really.  Although I suppose one might consider this post quite improper, depending on one’s point of view.

This week I had one day which started at 10:45am and went until about 3:30am, the only real breaks being driving to and fro and a fairly leisurely lunch.  I always say that I don’t mind doing a long night at work every now and again, as long as it doesn’t become a habit.  For this job, it’s the first time in 2½ years.  If it’s another 2½ years before it happens again, that’ll be just about the right frequency.  Hell, I’d even consider a shorter interval: every 2 years is okay, and even once a year isn’t that bad.  This job happens to have a hell of a lot of other advantages, and plus I actually enjoy this sort of thing every once in a while.  It’s sort of like staying up all night in college, working on a group project with your classmates that you absolutetly postitively have to turn in the next day.  It’s sort of fun, and you get all loopy and silly towards the end, and everyone drinks and smokes (or at least doesn’t care if you do), and you play loud, thrashy music to keep everyone energized.  The work thing is kind of like that, only with less drinking and smoking.  But they did let me play some loud music, so that was nice.

Again: as long as it doesn’t become a habit.

So I’m taking yet another break this week, and, as I do, I will leave you with these words of wisdom that I recently read by a fairly famous programmer in my chosen language, Mark Jason Dominus (generally known in the Perl world as simply MJD):

A smart programmer requires only ten years to learn that you should not do things the wrong way, even if you are sure it will not matter.


Words to live by indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment