Sunday, July 12, 2020

Isolation Report, Week #18


[You could also read the most recent report, or even start at the beginning.]


Well, there was an Independence Day celebration here in the US ... sort of.  We mainly just swam and made s’mores around the firepit.  That’s about as much patriotism as I can muster these days.

The past two weeks all my regular news sources have been on vacation, so I’m looking forward to seeing what the world has been up to tomorrow.  Wait ... did I say “looking forward to”?  Yeah, maybe that’s not the proper phrase.  Come to think of it, I’ve actually been fairly unstressed the past couple of weeks.  Maybe I shouldn’t go back to watching news stuff ...

I continue to be disappointed in how quickly it seems the coverage of racial justice protests seems to be disappearing.  In one panel I watched recently, the folks worried about “ally fatigue.”  I wish I knew what the right thing to combat that was.  But I understand the sentiment.

Critical Role has come back, and Narrative Telephone is also continuing, so that’s the best of both worlds.  I’m blasting through all the TV shows I said I wanted to catch up on ... perhaps sometime in one of the next few reports I’ll explore how much television I’ve blasted through.  Then again, that also might depress me.

I’ve also caught up on nearly all my outstanding podcasts, so I’ve gone back to audiobooks.  I had been behind for a bit, and, at the beginning of the pandemic, I wasn’t doing well even keeping up with new podcasts, since my commute was gone.  But I’ve worked out now how to work some podcast/audiobook time into my schedule, and I just started my first new audiobook in nearly a year.  So that’s ... progress?  Something.

I also took a few days off to turn the 3-day weekend into a 6-day weekend.  I spent a bunch of time fiddling with the code for my Google Sheets GM sheet: that is, the thing I use to help me run my D&D games.  There’s a bunch of products like that out there, but I don’t care for any of them, mostly because I have my own idiosyncracies and house rules.  So of course I continue to write my own.  A few months ago Google Apps Scripts upgraded the version of Javascript they use to run the back-end stuff behind Sheets, so I’m finally getting some features I’ve been longing for—when told the situation, my boss said something along the lines of “welcome to 2017.”  I still don’t like Javascript much, but admittedly this is way better.  Anyhow, I upgraded everything, and that of course caused some problems, and I wrote some brand new systems, which was pretty exciting.  Anyway, that took up nearly a week.  And I lost a few more chunks of time to Portal Knights with the baby girl.

Anyhow, I think that’s all there its to talk about, really.  Next week should be another full post, barring any unforeseen circumstances.









No comments:

Post a Comment