Sunday, April 29, 2018

Waiting for a new vista


This is the weekend my office is moving from Santa Monica to Playa Vista.  Happily, I was not required to do much personally, but one of the things I did have to do was shut my computer down.  This is a big pain, you see, because I never shut my computer down.  In order for me to start my computer from cold, I have to do the following things:

  • Enter my 56-character password to unlock my hard drive encryption.
  • Enter my much shorter user password to log into the machine.
  • Fire up a temporary terminal window.
  • Run a command which will start up my actual terminal windows (2) and my music player.
  • Enter my 43-character password to unlock my SSH key.
  • Close the temporary terminal window.
  • Fire up Firefox.
  • Restore my Firefox session, with its 7 windows and 219 total tabs.
  • Run another command which starts up my 1 Thunderbird window and Pidgin with its 12 IM windows.
  • Fire up my 2 Chrome windows (in 2 different profiles).
  • Start up all the other apps that I can’t remember right now.
  • Move all the windows onto their proper desktops.

So, as you can see, I don’t shut my computer down very often, because it’s such a giant pain in the ass to get it going again.  So I’m not particularly looking forward to having to do that.  But it seems like the new office won’t be ready tomorrow anyway, so I’ve got an extra day.  Which is good, because I blew out a tire on the way to work last week and I have to buy new tires anyway.

So ... yeah, fun times.  As usual, longer post next week.









2 comments:

  1. Some things never change. You still tracking your uptime? Any machines gotten beyond the 2 year mark? I hope all is well with you and yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, all my laptops have crappy batteries these days, so sometimes I end up rebooting them just moving from one room to another. :-/ But I try to keep them going as long as I can ...

      We're doing well Claudio. You should drop by and see us next time you're in town. :-)

      Delete